Lewiston Community Reeling after Mass Shooting

(LibertyInsider.org) – Lewiston, Maine residents are reeling in shock following one of the deadliest mass killings in state history. Reports say a man equipped with a rifle walked into Just-In-Time Recreation, a bowling alley located on Mollison Way, at around 7 p.m. and opened fire on the patrons present. He then left and traveled approximately four miles to a local pub called Schemengees Bar and Grille on Lincoln Street, where he continued his rampage.

At least 18 people perished during the shooting spree, and up to 50 were recovering from injuries suffered during the two-pronged attack. But police are warning that these numbers are likely to change as they continue to positively identify victims.

Tricia Asselin and Peyton Brewer-Ross, a pipefitter, and father, were both killed in the initial attack at the bowling alley. Michael Deslauriers II, a 42-year-old father of three, was also killed at the same location. Bob Violette, a 76-year-old retired coach for a youth bowling league, also died as a result of the attack.

Joseph “Cueball” Walker, Schemengees’ 56-year-old manager, attempted to tackle the shooter and take him down at the bar. Joe Walker, the son of a city councilor, also attempted to confront the shooter with a butcher knife. Sadly, neither survived.

Police quickly identified the suspect as 40-year-old Robert Card, a petroleum specialist for the Army Reserve who first joined the military in 2022. Rumors initially swirled that Card was a firearms instructor stationed out of Maine Instead, but the army later debunked these claims.

Officials say Card had a standing history of mental health struggles. In fact, an unidentified representative said on October 26 that doctors committed the man to a mental health ward back in July as he was experiencing hallucinations and delusions.

What exactly happened between then and now, and why Card fell through the cracks as he grew sicker, isn’t entirely clear. His sister-in-law told NBC News she grew concerned about his mental health status several months ago after receiving new hearing aids. He told her he could suddenly hear voices and grew increasingly paranoid that people were after him.

Card’s sister did attempt to reach out to authorities for help. She says the army was allegedly following up the complaint, and local police were aware of his struggles. She declined to comment on whether anyone had considered taking away his guns.

Police launched a manhunt to track him down. Card was found dead, from what was believed to be a self-inflicted wound, late Friday night.

Copyright 2023, LibertyInsider.org